The most important authorities at a glance

Mostly unpopular, but absolutely necessary for a study stay in Germany: We are talking about the official procedures that await you in preparation for and during your studies in Germany. We have compiled a list of the most important German authorities for you.

  • International Office

    Immediately after arrival in Germany, in addition to registering with the Residents' Registration Office, a residence permit is issued by the Foreigners' Registration Office. For assistance as well as information on the required documents, foreign students can contact the International Office.

    What is the International Office responsible for?

    The International Office is the central point of contact for all organizational questions related to studying abroad. In addition to advising on study, internship and research opportunities abroad, the International Office assists international students with application, enrollment, housing and study planning, financing, and language preconditions for studying in Germany.

    In addition, the International Office usually takes care of the admission as well as the preparation of the admission of international students who wish to study in Germany. This includes, among other things, checking the documents submitted, such as the university entrance qualification and proof of the required German language skills. If the relevant evidence cannot be submitted, a university language test is first required. If you have any questions regarding admission to the TU Dresden or organizational concerns, you can contact the International Office of the TU Dresden directly here.

  • Residents' Registration Office

    The Residents' Registration Office - or Bürgerbüro - is responsible, among other things, for registering and re-registering your place of residence in Germany and for issuing passports and identity cards.

    What do foreign students need to apply for at the Resident Registration Office?

    Within two weeks after arrival in Germany, foreign students must register their residence in Germany at the responsible Residents' Registration Office. For the registration you need a passport, possibly with a visa, the completed application form as well as the confirmation of residence from your landlord. You can find a template for the landlord's confirmation online at the relevant Residents' Registration Office. Under certain circumstances, a certificate of enrollment may also be required. After registration, you will receive a registration certificate, which you can now use to apply for your residence permit.

    You can make an appointment for the registration - usually also at short notice - online at the responsible citizens' registration offices of the city of Dresden.

  • Department of Foreigners

    The Department of Foreigners is primarily responsible for the implementation of the law regarding foreigners in Germany. This includes, among other things, the issuing of residence permits, expulsions or deportations, and the issuing of passports for foreigners.

    When do foreign students have to present themselves at the Foreigners' Registration Office?

    Foreign students from EU countries do not need a visa or a residence permit to take up studies in Germany. Applicants from non-EU countries, on the other hand, must contact the competent foreigners authority of their place of residence immediately after their arrival in Germany for registration under foreigners law and the issuance of a residence permit.

    Students from non-EU countries who stay in Germany for more than three months in the course of their studies require a valid residence permit in addition to a visa. The residence permit for study purposes is usually limited to a maximum of two years and must be renewed annually. For the annual renewal, proof of financing must also be provided, whereby the required amount of money must actually be available. Furthermore, the residence permit is tied to the course of study specified therein, which is why changing the course of study or dropping out can lead to the loss of the right of residence. After the successful completion of the studies, there is the possibility to find a suitable job in Germany for 18 months and to apply for a new residence permit for this period.

    To apply for a residence permit at the Aliens' Registration Office in Dresden, you will need the completed application form, your passport, if applicable with visa, a biometric photo, the current registration certificate, your rental contract or other proof of accommodation, a current certificate of study, your health insurance as well as proof of financing. You can find all information about making an appointment at the Immigration Registration Office in Dresden here.

Do you have any questions? Get in touch with us!

You can reach us at 0049 351 / 40 470 - 102